June 1, 2008

Feeding with no RSS

So I recently came across an online tool while reading my feeds called Page2RSS. From their site:
It is a service that helps you monitor web sites that do not publish feeds.
It will check any web page for updates and deliver them to your favorite RSS aggregator.

I did see a warning that mentioned not using a page that get's updates by the minute since this site will crawl the page every 10 minutes and that will really get your reader down.

Having the tool tucked in the back of my mind I didn't really have a site to use it on at that moment, but I figured it would come in useful eventually. I was right. My church maintains a web page with sermons (mp3 links) posted (no Bubba, I'm not getting preachy, I really am just talking about the tool). They update it about every week, sometimes every 2 weeks. I like to keep an eye on the sermons they post since we miss a lot and don't go to evening services. Instead of having to check the page I used the handy Page2RSS tool and now I get updated when the page does.

It just crawls the page and checks it versus previous versions so I wondered how it would look. Here is a sample I got tonite (here is the sermon page)


As you can see it adds new entries from the page into the feed from top to bottom just as they added it to the page. And since the changes in question have links to mp3 files it adds those links as well without posting the URL as text and dirtying up my page.

Pretty cool by me.
Until next time,
Les

2 comments:

bubba said...

I hate when you go off on one of your religious rants!!! ;-)

Cool tool, thanks.

bubba, there is no Dog

bubba said...

sorry, I meant doG. doh!