June 7, 2008

Lone Star Software Symposium - Day 2 Recap

Here I am at the end of Day 2 and I'm miserable. There are several reasons for that, but they don't have anything to do with the Conference itself. One reason is that I miss my wife and my son. Another, and probably the biggest, reason is that I'm stuffed beyone enjoyment on BBQ from Red Hot and Blue because I have mostly no self control when it comes to BBQ.
Here's the wrap up:

Filthy Rich Clients with the Google Web Toolkit, Part I

Overall this is a very interesting toolkit. It allows you to development heavy, ajaxian, rich, javascript based web apps by writing nothing but Java code. Google has written a compiler that takes the Java code and compiles it into multiplatform, crossbrowser Javascript. It's really slick and I could definitely see using it to throw together some personal projects. The session wasn't horrible.

Real World JSON

This was another course by Scott Davis and I really enjoyed it. JSON (Javascript Object Notation) is basically the best alternative to XML (the 'x' in AJAX). JSON let's you express objects and lists of objects as plain text (and what's more light weight than that?) and process it right in your web page without have the heavy, cumbersome syntax of XML to grind through. I could see using JSON in future web endeavers. Good presentation.

Grails - Agile Web 2.0 The Easy Way

This got me back on track with my new trend in self study. It was presented by Jeff Brown and he did a really good job at showing the quick and dirty of what Grails really is. This was really a repeat for me since I attended Davis's Grails session yesterday, but he added fresh light to areas for me so it wasn't a waste. Good presentation and a good primer for the next session.

Advanced Web Development With Grails

So this was the best session of the day. It was Jeff Brown's second session and it really dug deeper into the workings of Grails and building real world web apps with it. He showed us the power and EASE of creating custom tags in Grails (as opposed to the painstaking process it in the JSP world). He demonstrated some remote calling and object relationships (managed right in your bean object and persisted on the fly to the Database, yeah, that's right). I definitely think that the entire Groovy/Grails paradigm could change my programming landscape for good, if only I could get it accepted at my job.

As I said to begin, overall I'm enjoying and learning. I would recommend this conference to any, ANY Java based developer.

Until next time
Les

1 comment:

bubba said...

Regarding: "if only I could get it accepted at my job."

I'm pretty sure we can do if it doesn't slow us down. I think groovy should be an easy sell. Grails is another story. We'll have to figure how to build/compile it. I would really like to use it for all our Crud apps.